I’d Like to Thank the Academy….
And by the Academy, I mean Misty of Misty’s Laws who bestowed this award on me:
Apparently, I’m versatile. Who knew? And please don’t tell my mom. Andi, that’s versatile not venereal. Oh, ok then.
The rules are as follows:
1. Compose a short dedication to the person who gave you the award.
2. Write a list for your readers, detailing things about yourself that your readers don’t know.
3. Pass the love forward to five bloggers that you feel deserve to receive it too.
So, here goes! Misty is the funniest lawyer I’ve ever known. I used to work for a law firm and I’m related to lawyers, not a whole lotta laughs there. But between the bad style highlights, the “your car makes you look like a douche” snapshots, the adventures in Ren Fairing and the running commentary from her adorable son, she gets a giggle snort out of me every morning. In fact, Misty is better than coffee, and I’m including Starbucks holiday drinks in that so you know I mean business. Go read her.
Things you don’t know about me? Well, I’m not much for hiding my light under a bushel so it was hard to come up with something that nobody knows but:
1) I have so many allergies, it’s embarrassing. Thank God most of them hit after having kids or I would have spent my dating years ordering food like Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally. “I’ll have everything on the side, kthanxbai.”
2) I’ve read the complete works of the Marquis De Sade. Don’t bother, by the way. De Sade was a hack who would get himself shut up in debtor’s prison, publish something to pay the bills, then go off drinking and carousing and wind up back in prison… His stuff was like the Penthouse Letters of its day. I always picture a bunch of guys reading it while standing around in frock coats going, “This sort of thing never happens to me.” The only De Sade work of any literary merit is Justine, and it’s only worth reading if you’ve read Samuel Richardson’s Pamela because it’s a rebuttal to that.
3) Yes, I have a B.A. in English. It’s not that noticeable, is it?
4) I had an eating disorder in college. I have no idea what size/shape my body is, even when I look in the mirror. This causes some problems in sewing because I have a bad habit of making things too large.
5) I used to play Magic the Gathering, but gave it up (and gave away my cards) when I moved because I didn’t know anyone who played other than my former roommates. I still kind of regret that.
6) I learned to sew as a kid by making Cabbage Patch clothes. I have the original patterns I used (though I no longer have the dolls). I still like Cabbage Patch kids, especially the way they smell fresh out of the box. In fact, I’m tempted to go buy one now.
7) Speaking of strange smells, I also love the smell of Play-doh.
Now for my honorees:
Seraphinalina is an absolute sweetheart. In fact, she’s one of the nicest people I know online. Her blog covers everything from sewing to family to infertility to her connections to the folk music scene. I’ve discovered some great musical artists through her and she’s always an education to read.
Tanit-Isis has amazing sewing skills. She’s constantly whipping up jeans and crinolines and Baby Doll costumes. She blithely carries on sewing through successes and disasters alike, turning out clothes for herself, her husband and her two girls Tyo and Syo at breakneck speed. I only wish I had the balls to take half as many risks.
Team Suzanne writes a blog ostensibly about homeschooling her two kids, but really, it’s just an opportunity for her to comment on global warming, aggressive animals and stupid people. If you ever wanted to know how to mummify a chicken, she’s your gal. If you wanted to know what a mummified chicken smells like afterwards, still your gal.
K-Line sews, knits, and raises the most kick-ass tween this side of the 1980s. Her knitting skills will bring tears to your eyes, and her gorgeous house photo porn will make you drool.
CorpGoth highlights goth couture as worn to the office. Her outfits are adorable, and she knows more about strategic accessorizing with studded belts and bats than anyone you’re likely to meet. She also sews historical costumes at Trystan’s Costume Closet. I want to steal almost all of her shoes.
Now go forth and be awesome!