New Look 6735 — I’m a Vippy Bunny!
Over the weekend, I finished this shirt which I’m really pleased with:
I bought the fabric from the LA Fabric District, years ago. It’s a very strange poly blend with a pebbly texture. The guy I bought it from suggested it was for lingerie, and he may well have been correct. The print seems to evoke a bunch of pin back buttons, and I actually thought it was a promo print for the Spice Girls, because of the Spice Rule! and British flag buttons. However, there’s also a button that says “I’m a Vippy Bunny!” I had no idea what that meant and it occurred to me (halfway through making the shirt, because I’m a slow thinker) that it might mean something I didn’t want advertised on my body.
SO. I took a break and googled “Vippy Bunny.” Turns out it’s a reference to a chain of V.I.P.S. restaurants (apparently mostly on the West Coast) that went bankrupt in the 1990s and were bought by Denny’s. They still exist in Mexico where they’re — oddly enough — owned by Walmart. And they did indeed have a bunny as a mascot, with coloring books and other promos. Why did someone print this fabric with all these strange logos on it? Who knows?
I’m really happy with the pattern for New Look 6735, View C. I cut out and sewed a straight size 12, and it fits me really well. The length is where I like it on my long torso, the sleeves hit at a flattering place on my arm, and there is no pooling in the back. My one quibble is that there seem to be some slight “pull” lines that sometimes form between the armscye and the neckline. I think that might be my fault, though, as I had to squeeze this pattern onto a single yard (it was a muslin and I really wanted to use this fabric) so the neck band ended up slightly short. I just shaved off the uneven ends and attached it anyway, stretching to fit, and it seems to be ok but I think it might be pulling up a bit too much. Since this is a wearable muslin, that’s perfectly fine with me.
This is the first knit top where I’ve successfully used a double needle. I used Tanit-Isis’ method of pressing the hems with Steam-a-Seam to add stability and keep the needle from tunneling. Well, it tunneled a bit anyway but I think that’s due to the flimsiness of the fabric, which makes me extra glad I used the Steam-a-Seam. I used the 1/2″ on the sleeves and bottom hem and the 1/4″ (in strips) around the neckline to offer stability there. The end result is a shirt that will probably, thanks to the polyester, outlast us all.
Since I haven’t had a photo that showed my head in a while, here I am:
You can see that the Great Hair Grow-out continues at a snail’s pace. Whoopee.