Alice Cooper 101 and Other Things You Should Know
Lately, I’ve been hanging around Noa of Oh, Noa fame and we discovered there is a serious dearth of Alice Cooper information out there. As in, we both had the experience of making a reference to Alice Cooper, and the person we were speaking to assumed A.C. was a girl.
Hmm. This does not bode well for the future of humanity.
So, a quick Alice Cooper primer:
1. Alice Cooper is not a girl.
2. He is a shock metal rocker who started out as a band in the 70s, went solo in ’75 and has pretty much performed and recorded incessantly since then. He’s known as the person who brought horror imagery to rock music (bet you thought it was Ozzy Osbourne — nope). Without his influence, there would be no Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson, or the Sex Pistols. The original Alice Cooper band was recently inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
3. Best known songs are I’m Eighteen (from the original Alice Cooper band) and School’s Out.
4. He’s had a small film career, including a number of cameos in horror movies and an appearance as himself in Wayne’s World. He has also DJ’d for a popular classic rock station.
There ya go. Now when old farts such as myself refer to Alice Cooper, you can contribute to the conversation. Don’t all fall over yourselves thanking me now, it’s a pleasure to help you out.
Other things you should know:
1) There is a Michael Kors look-alike who works out next to me at the gym. When we’re both on the treadmill, I like to picture him berating me the way he does the designers on Project Runway. “I’ve seen mannequins that work harder….is that your best effort?…..pathetic, just pathetic….I’m appalled, I really am.” I have no idea why this amuses me so much.
2) Actually, that’s it. I need to go to bed.
Nighty-night chickadees! Remember Alice Cooper!