Muslin Monday — Denim Dementia

People, I have a confession to make.  I hate changing the thread in my serger.  No — I mean, I REALLY hate it.

Hence my decision to do more denim this week.  Here’s the latest project:

New Look 6083

New Look 6083.  This skirt was challenging for all sorts of reasons.  I had trouble attaching the zipper to the fly with topstitching and had to sew it to the fly lining THEN topstitch (hence the over-exaggerated fly front).  I also chose a very thin, stretchy denim for the material — think the type of denim you would make jeggings with.  As a result, the finished product pulls in all kinds of strange places.  I do think the pattern is well-drafted, and will probably make more of them in a better material — with one caveat.  The pocket lining and pocket are all one piece.  I HATE, HATE, HATE this feature.  The hip never lays right, nor does it look good, and the pocket tends to pull up all the time.  I’ll have to trace the piece and separate the two in order to feel comfortable making this skirt again.  I might even pull the pocket “lip” up a little, as I’m not sure I like where it hits me on this version.

On top of which, I can’t decide on a hem because of the way the skirt pulls in the back.  There is probably no help for that, so I’ll have to bite the bullet and pick a hemline tomorrow.

 

I also begrudgingly did some work on Simplicity 4110.  What?  You can’t tell?  Look closer.

Inside waistband on S4110

I finish my denim waistbands by hand inside before I topstitch them.  It helps them to lay flat, and gives me more even topstitching.  It’s a bit of a PITA, but I think it’s worth it for the nice finish.  I’ve considered other finishing methods (bias binding), but they seem like more work.

I’m still considering more pants for a next project.  Somewhere out there is the elusive TNT, and I mean to find it.  This may well mean more denim, though…brace yourselves.

Advertisements

Posted on June 20, 2011, in sewing. Bookmark the permalink. 2 Comments.

  1. Hee! I hated changing my serger thread until I discovered the trick where you just cut the old threads off above all the windy parts and tie on the new threads, then run it on scraps until the new thread has worked its way through.

    I, too, have hand-finished the inside of a lot of waistbands prior to topstitching. It definitely helps (although I’m slowly, slowly getting better at finishing without doing this) and looks nice on the inside. That being said, the bias-bound method is totally way less work. 😉

    Good luck with the skirt—it certainly looks good in the photo 🙂

  2. I tried that tying threads thing, but I have a Kenmore and it gets CRANKY if I do that. The thread changing isn’t really enough of a hassle to mess with it.

    Now you have me curious to try the bias-bound waistband!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: